Why is homework important?
At Newcastle Academy the completion of homework is an important part of Academy life and supports your child with gaining skills each time they complete work at home. These skills are essential throughout your child’s life.
Responsibility. When students assume responsibility for their homework and complete it on time they are learning to be accountable for their actions.
Resilient. Homework teaches students how to deal with adversity. They will become confident in asking for help when they are unsure, and once completed take pride in finishing homework regardless of difficulties or problems they faced.
Responsible. Completing homework in a timely manner will help your child develop trust and self-confidence. The inspiration to work harder on the next project occurs when students feel good about their accomplishments.
Resourceful. Homework allows students to access the curriculum using their imagination and their own preferred learning styles, thus developing depth to their learning.
Time management. Students that complete their homework on time learn the benefits of being organised. They also learn to plan their time well to ensure the work is completed to a deadline.
How can parents support their child and Newcastle Academy with homework?
- Keep a check on student planners – all homework will be recorded in here.
- Check the homework timetables in the section above.
- Encourage your child to take notes throughout their lessons, this will then help with the completion of homework.
- Try and provide a suitable study area for your child to complete homework – this should be clear of distractions (including TVs & mobile phones), well lit and with their smart start resources.
- Join the club. Remember we have the homework club in the library which is staffed, where students can stay and work quietly between 3.15pm and 4.15pm Monday to Thursday.
- Plan a homework schedule with your child – a template is available by clicking here
- Praise your child’s efforts.
- Ensure your child is aware of their current targets and what target they are working towards.
- If you have any concerns regarding the amount or type of homework speak to your child’s teacher.